What are your responsibilities?
- Talk with the clients. Find out about their business and help them find what they need to make it work.
- Determine why they need a business plan and how it will help them. Very few people actually want a business plan; however, they need one.
- When the financials are done, review the financial statements and analyses. Make sure they make sense.
- Review all business plans to make sure that they will work.
What education do you bring to your position?
- FCCA – I’m a professional accountant – Fellow of the Chartered Association of Certified Accountants.
- FMC – I have a Certificate in IT Financial Management Controllership.
How do your strengths help you fulfill your duties?
- I’m interested in people and like to help them achieve their goals.
- I am very picky (obsessive) so things have to work and be correct.
What is your biggest passion as it relates to your role?
- I love helping people.
What challenge(s) in your role do you enjoy most?
- Finding ways to increase clients’ profitability.
- Making the numbers make sense.
How do you stay up to date in your field?
- Read loads of business-related material like:
- The Economist, Business Week, Forbes.
- Google News – Business, Technology.
In your spare time when you’re not fulfilling your duties we’d find you:
- Playing with technology.
- Drinking Island single malt whiskies, especially Laphroaig 10 and Highland Park.
- Hacking around a golf course — in less than 100 on a good day.
Two Little Known Facts About You
1. I brought a business perspective to a charity for abused women.
2. I wrote a “Hangman” game for a TRS-80 Model 100 portable computer for my three-year-old daughter.