How to Become a Licensed Producer of Medical Marijuana in Canada
Application to Become a Licensed Producer Under ACMPR
On the surface, it’s pretty simple to become a licensed producer under Health Canada’s Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations (ACMPR).
1. Email Health Canada’s Office of Medical Cannabis and request the application form.
2. Fill out and submit the 14-page form, which has lots of boxes to check off.
3. Wait for your license.
If that sounds too good to be true, it’s because it is; it’s really not that simple. If you simply completed the form and sent it in, Health Canada would reject the application as “incomplete.” In fact, by the end of May 2017, Health Canada had rejected over 50% of the ACMPR license applications they had received. So, what do you have to do? Follow these steps:
1. Email Health Canada for the application form.
2. Fill out the 14-page form.
3. Provide your ACMPR business plan. (Don’t have one? We can help).
4. Arrange for RCMP security clearances for senior management and corporate officers. Provide proof by attaching copies of:
a. Security Clearance application form (ACMPR).
b. Security Clearance Fingerprint Third Party Consent to release personal information (ACMPR).
That’s two forms for each senior manager and corporate officer.
5. Provide a building location survey, signed by a qualified surveyor.
6. Submit an aerial photo of the site and surroundings out to 500 metres.
7. Include a detailed description of the security measures, complete with floor plans and specifications.
8. Notify local government, police and fire of your application and attach copies.
9. Prepare and submit detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
10. Provide detailed Quality Assurance Processes.
11. Details of the Quality Assurance person’s qualifications and experience.
12. Submit details of the record-keeping methods relating to security, inventory, good production practices (GPP), and destruction methods.
13. Check, sign and send the package (it will weigh at least two pounds) to Health Canada.
That’s the beginning of the process. If you don’t send ALL of the above documents and forms, your application will be returned as incomplete. The actual application fee to become a licensed producer is currently zero. However, be prepared to budget between $75,000 and $150,000 to pay the various consultants that you’ll need to help you through the licensing process.
As always, we’re here to help you with step number 3 and have experience working with dozens of other ACMPR applicants on their business plans. Contact us today for a free consultation.